Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Phil Hulett
    Keymaster

Pastor, your message this past Sunday caused me to ponder a question that has nagged me for some time, and I wonder if you can shed some light on it.
    It’s a two part question, first, what is the difference between loving money and needing money? Second, in light of your message about the rich ruler who asked the right question, got the right answer but couldn’t close the deal because he loved his possessions, God wants us to feed, cloth and house our families, right? It is one of my greatest fears that if I truly go “all in” like Jesus was asking the young, rich ruler to do, that some day I might have to tell my family, as we sit, homeless, in a cardboard box under the pier, that this is God’s will.
    I cherish your thoughts on this.
    Phil

• This topic was modified 3 years, 8 months ago by admin.

Good question Phil. I’m glad you asked that 🙂

Let me response to your question in two ways. First, let me refer you back to the rich young ruler. Remember I mentioned that this young rich ruler was not only rich and powerful but religious too. This is because when Jesus gave him the commandments that pertains to man (do not murder, do not bear false witness, do not commit adultery, do not covet, honor your father and mother) he answered that he has been observing these since he was a little boy. He was so proud to say to Jesus that he knows his religion and has been faithful to his religion. Many of us are like him, we have religion but no relationship with God.

When Jesus heard it,He challenged him to sell all his properties and give it to the poor the proceeds and follow Him. And the rich young ruler left sorrowfully because he couldn’t do it because he’s very rich.

This is where the rubber meets the road. This is where the revelation comes into picture that this young dude failed the very first commandment in the ten commandments that says, “Thou shall not have any other God before me.”

He loved his wealth, his money more than God. The bible says that “For the love of money is the root of all evil.” (1 Timothy 6:10). Money in itself is good. As I’ve said in my sermon we need money, the church needs money, I need money. But to love money is a different story. It is not the money that is the root of all evil, it is the LOVE of money.

We know that family breaks apart because of the love of money. We betrayed our friends and allies, or business partners, or even our loved ones because of the love of money. That is why Jesus said, ” It is harder for a rich man to enter the kingdom of heaven than for a camel to enter the eye of a needle. The disciples were astonished and asked, :Who then can be saved?” Jesus replied,”This is impossible with man but with God nothing is impossible.”

Peter complained that they left everything for the sake of following Jesus. What did our Lord Jesus say to him. “Truly I tell you, said Jesus, “- no one who has left home or brothers or sisters or mother or father or children or fields for My sake and for the gospel will fail to receive a hundredfold in the present age—houses and brothers and sisters and mothers and children and fields, along with persecutions—and to receive eternal life in the age to come.” (Mark 10:19).

This is the best proposition that Jesus offers to all who will follow Him. You will not be poor in the end. You will not be impoverished but will have a super abundant life (John 10:10). I know what I’m talking about because I experienced it. I travel the world for free and meet new sisters and brothers in the Lord in many parts of the world.At first, I thought, in the beginning of my ministry, that when I become a pastor I will not receive salary or receive any of these gifts. I’m not saying I’m already rich but I’m not gonna say I’m poor. I can tell though, by the grace of God that I live comfortably.
    See you will not lose when you make the Lord Jesus the Lord of ALL of your life. It is a win-win proposition.

Second, going All in for Jesus is most challenging only those who can’t order their priority according to the plan of God. In one of the sermons of Jesus on the Mount He said, “Why worry about the food you will eat, the clothes you will wear. Look at birds, they don’t work but your heavenly Father feeds them, how much more are you. People who don’t know the God we preach seek and pursue material things or wealth first in this life.

But the challenge of our Lord Jesus in Matthew 6:33 says, “Seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness. And all these things ( money, wealth, health, happiness, etc…) shall be added unto you. This is the pecking order, the life that we are challenged to pursue. Try it, you gonna love it.

Hope this help you clarify the issue you brought to my attention.

Thanks a lot.

Blessings,

Pastor Nelson

• This reply was modified 3 years, 8 months ago by admin.
Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.